Thursday, January 17, 2008

ANOTHER WORLD

The following are all single family homes. We went through this area today as we drove up the coast a short distance from Long Beach, and I know my mouth was hanging open in disbelief. Even our seven kids wouldn't have filled up all the rooms in these humble homes. I imagine a person would have to have several staff to help manage such an excess of space. And who would want it? Certainly not this small town Minnesota gal. Why I think our RV would probably fit in one room of these mansions. Not for me.





This is the coastline looking north from the whale information center where we stopped and went through a small museum. And we saw no whales heading up to Alaska where our son Chris greets them in the summertime.

Remember the song that goes "Twenty-six miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is awaiting for me. Santa Catalina, the island of romance, romance, romance, romance." Well, the land you can barely see on the horizon is the island of Santa Catalina.
And this sign threw me into a nervous frenzy. I took this picture from a moving truck, through the windshield, but I can read it loud and clear. USE EXTREME CAUTION. CONSTANT LAND MOVEMENT. NEXT 0.8 MILES. Whaaaaat? Say again? Constant land movement? And you built a highway over it and then post signs that say caution and bumpy road and danger? The road was very uneven, the water pipes were all above ground, and there were signs of recent landslides. I held my breath for the .8 miles and was so relieved to hit the smooth road again where the water pipes disappeared into the ground where they belong. We asked a woman about it when we stopped at a scenic view point, and she said there is always road work there because the ground is constantly shifting.
AND, this is right next to those multi-million dollar homes I showed you at the beginning of this blog. I don't know who is dumber, the road builders or the home owners.

No comments: