Tuesday, October 21, 2008

GRANDKIDS AND FOOD

WARNING: The following contains many calories and grandkids.

The camping trip this past weekend was filled with fun, food, and freezing temps. Anna found a nice spot in the lounge chair with her blanket, in front of the fire.
Breakfast on the first morning was pancakes on the griddle, and eggs, bacon and sausage made in the man pan!
Ben enjoys grandpa's pancakes.
We were lucky to find two spots right next to the tables that were covered by a shelter. So even the little sprinkles on Friday didn't phase us......we were covered! And right behind Ernie's green bike is my new red bike. I love it!
This serious looking guy is Caleb, my favorite grandson.*
And this guy getting beat up by his father and his grandfather is my favorite grandson, Adam.*
Do you guys know about lefsa? Remember the lutefisk post? Well, lefsa is what you always eat with lutefisk. I describe it to people as Norwegian tortillas. It's made with potatoes and lard and very little flour. Well, there is a famous Minnesota lefsa factory down in the area where we were camping, and we had to go there on Friday to pick some up to freeze for Thanksgiving and Christmas, traditional lutefisk and lefsa days in the Norwegian community. I thought it was interesting to see how it's made in bulk. The pieces of dough are put on those surfaces where the rolling pins flatten them to paper thin thickness. Then they are moved on a lefsa stick over to the other line
and placed on a lefsa grill to bake. They are flipped over quickly and baked on the other side, then stacked in a pile between layers of towels to cool. Spread with butter, sprinkle with sugar or brown sugar and eat! Or if you're having it on Thanksgiving, wrap it around turkey or dressing, or mashed potatoes, or meatballs or whatever you are craving, and enjoy! Mmmmm!
And remember the post about the garbage can meal? The photo below shows what it looks like cooking in the pot. What you can see is the brats, wieners and sausage, on top of the onions. Below it are the potatoes, carrots, and corn on the cob. The green beans have already been taken off the top. It was wonderful.
Other meals for the weekend included potatoes, carrots and onions with lots of butter, wrapped in foil and cooked over the fire, and 2 different mountain man breakfasts, cooked in the Dutch ovens. One was eggs, onions, peppers, bacon, and hashbrowns, and the other an egg bake of eggs, bread, ham and cheese. Needless to say, we did not go hungry! The bad thing is that I have my physical next week and I expect the weight gain and the cholesterol readings can't all be blamed on this weekend!
*These two both want to be my favorite, but I tell them that each of my 15 grandkids are my favorite!

PS: Oh, my goodness! I forgot to mention the peach cake and peach cobbler, both made in the Dutch ovens, and the carrot cake I made from Pioneer Woman's recipe. I've told you before to make that cake. Have you? Do it now! You'll never regret it!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I must have missed reading everyones bloggs yesterday. These are great pictures of your family fun. I love seeing and getting to know your family. The bike is awesome as well, did you get to ride much on this trip? I think going with your kids and grandkids must be about the best thing in the whole world. Memories...that is what it is all about.

Memaw's memories said...

I always enjoyed camping in the fall when the weather is cool. Also, not so many other people. Sometimes, you almost have the campsites to yourself.

I know a good time was had by all.