Friday, September 12, 2008

HONEY CRISP APPLES

Do you know about Honey Crisp apples? In my opinion, they are the best "eatin' out of the hand" apple on the market. Honey Crisp are called "explosively crisp" and they do give a sharp snap when you bite into them. They are juicy. And they are sweetly tart.

Honey Crisp's parents are the Macoun and the Honeygold apples. They were part of a University of Minnesota breeding program in the 1960's, and have quickly grown to be one of our favorite eating apples. Kids especially seem to love them.

The facts state that they are usually ready on September 10. Well, yesterday, the 11th, I went to the Farmers Market, and the apple man was there. Did I dare hope that he'd have his Honey Crisp? I walked up to his stand, and there, right on the right side as they always are, were the medium sized, red and gold beauties! I bought the three pound bag, which contained nine medium/smallish apples, for $8.99. A bit expensive, but the best eating apple in the world deserves to command a higher price!
The beautiful apples called for my light amber colored depression glass bowl and the new apples table topper that I bought at the thrift shop for a quarter. I've had two, and will probably have another for lunch.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, you know, so two or three a day should guarantee health, right? How come I have a sore throat, stuffy upper chest and a headache? Maybe I need more apples!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I LOVE APPLES, but have never heard of these. I so enjoyed visiting with your hubby via your blog, he should do that more often. He seems like a pretty sweet guy, but don't you dare tell him I said that, he might think I was flirting!!!! We are getting ready for the storm to come through starting tomorrow and Sunday and then he should be gone. It will be a great day to stay inside and watch OU football!

Joni said...

I have never heard of these! I don't think they are available around here, but they do resemble our Roman Apples. I love apples and probably should eat more of them.

You and I have the same amber depression bowl!

Thank's for popping over for coffee this morning, I'd like to add you to my list of friends whose company I enjoy...if that's OK...have a lovely day ~

Anonymous said...

Now you need to try the newest MN apple, Zestar! They are even better, in my opinion, and I LOVE Honey Crisp.
Thea

LindaJean said...

I LOVE Honeycrisp! I seldom buy them as we have so many people here and they ARE so expensive.
I never heard of ZESTAR, but now that I have I will definitely give them a try!

Unknown said...

Honey Crisp are one of my favorites! (Although last week the Gala apples were, because they were on sale for 88 cents a pound!lol) Aren't Honey Crisp the state of MN apple?

Lisa said...

Oh go ahead and post something...I miss reading your adventures. Come on, you know you want to. Just knuckle down and do it!!!

Memaw's memories said...

I haven't heard of the Honey Crisp, but I'm not much of an apple eater.

But I think I also have that same amber depression glass bowl.

My great aunt gave it to me many years ago and I have it displayed on the entertainment center with family photos.