Friday, September 26, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNT ELAINE

The two beautiful women above are my mom, in the purple, and her sister Elaine, my aunt, in the print jacket. This was taken last November at my nephew's wedding. This is right about the time when we started noticing mom was having some problems, but six months before we knew it was a brain tumor. The two sisters are five years apart in age, but both have September birthdays. As you know, mom's birthday was just three days ago, and Elaine will celebrate her birthday on Sunday.

My earliest memory of my aunt is from when I was two and a half years old. We were moving from Minnesota to Iowa where my dad was to be pastor of two country churches. My dad had gone ahead, and was already at the parsonage, and my grandpa was driving mom, my baby sister and me to our new home. My Aunt Elaine was also in the car, and she was singing a song to me: Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear, fuzzy wuzzy had no hair, fuzzy wuzzy wasn't fuzzy, was he!

About three years later I was the flower girl in Aunt Elaine's wedding. She is a very important person in my life, and I love her dearly. Happy birthday, Elaine! I hope you are feeling better. We will be over to see you soon.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Fuzzy Wuzzy was one of my favorite songs. Aunt Elaine, I hope you have a wonderful birthday with more to come. Sage, I am so glad we have met, soon we will be sitting at some campsite with a fire burning brightly (because I love fire and my husband was a firefighter!) and we will sit and talk and talk and talk. The men folk will have to sit and talk somewhere else so we can have plenty of time together!!!! We can take pictures together, and hike if you will take it easy on me!!! And we can talk about kids, and drugs and alcohol and life in general. I am coming up there to fulfill this dream.....is there any time better than another?