Sunday, February 17, 2008

ENTERTAINING TODAY

After church today we are having our first dinner party. We've invited my mom and my brother and sisters and spouses. There will be ten of us. I don't like to be rushed, so I got the table ready last night by pulling the table almost to it's maximun length by inserting 3 leafs.
Yesterday I spent the morning washing all of my precious depression glass and crystal pieces and getting them arranged in my china hutch. Most of the green depression glass came from my grandma, the famous Nonny of the Nonny chair, and I've picked up several amber, yellow and pink pieces at garage sales and thrift shops. I treasure these dishes even though many of them had humble beginnings as gas station or drug store give-aways.

Yesterday afternoon son Lance, Tya, and the girls, Jaden and Madison, spent several hours with us. The girls had a good time exploring our new place, especially the storage area under the stairway. Jaden had a project for school to work on, getting information on the state she was assigned, Maine. So we looked through my photos of Maine from last summer and she picked about 30 of them and we zapped them off to Walgreen's for her mom to pick up on their way home. What a neat deal!

Then we were invited to Kari and Mike's for homemade pizza and apple pie for supper. And Ernie was thrilled when, as we were leaving, Kari placed in his hands an apple pie of his very own. Good thing we have a daughter who bakes pies for him, because I'm afraid that is not one of my talents!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any tips you could give me on neat places to see/things to do in Maine would be appreciated! We're road-tripping in New England in August!--Brenda

Marge said...

Brenda,

You could always go past the house where we lived when Kari was born. I believe it's a national treasure now! Go to Bar Harbor for sure. Fun touristy town, lots of traffic, but cute. Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mt are a must. The coast anywhere is rocky and beautiful. Baxter State Park and Mt Katahdin are remote, pristine, and peaceful. The trees remind me of up north Minnesota, but the hills are higher in Maine! Have fun! ~marge~