Tuesday, December 29, 2009

IOWA, SSOURI and KANSAS

This is the day that the Lord hath made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.



We got on the road about 7:30 this morning.  The sun was rising in the east over the snowy landscape that was NOT being attacked by the fierce northwest winds this morning.  The temperature was right at zero, and the smoke from the smokestacks formed huge plumes in the eastern sky.  It was a beautiful morning.

The sun came out for awhile, quickly changing the frosty surfaces to nice dry roadways.

These guys looked happy!

Soon we crossed the state line into Ssouri, the show me state.  What?  You've never heard of Ssouri?  Well, look there, that's what the sign says, so that's what it must be.  Well, anyhow, we have been eating out of the cooler, which contains the stuff I cleaned out of the frig so we could shut it off.  It's been ham and cheese sandwiches, a bit of smoked salmon, crackers, cookies and oranges.  We were craving something warm so

we thought this Ma and Pa's Kettle sounded like a good place for a cup of soup or something from the grill.  Well, we were now in southern Ssouri, which Ernie counts as the deep south, so he had to order his very
favorite.......are you jealous, Glenn?.............

a small serving of biscuits and gravy.  Yes, the small, 2 biscuit serving.  Not a good way to start his plan to loose 20 pounds.  I don't think he gets the connection between biscuits and gravy and the pot belly behind the plate!  I had bacon and eggs, which was nothing special, but it sure beats another day of ham and cheese.

We're on the right road......35 South to Wichita.......

And here's Kansas! 

We saw quite a few oil pumps chugging away, pulling up the black gold.

And this is for my friend, Judy.  Enjoy!

I love windmills.  Love the wide open range country around the Flint Hills.  Love the fact that the snow is disappearing

and the color green is making an entrance!  Yes, Toto, I think we are back in Kansas!

PS:  We had ham and cheese and crackers for supper again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those roads look so much better!! I love it too that the snow is disappearing! I'm excited to go to Arizona and Fla next month. I'm praying for a safe trip for you! love, gail

Linda said...

I'm happy you have good roads again. My neck and back would have been one big knot going through Iowa! Marge, can you tell me what kind of camera you have? Your pictures are beautiful...even the ones taken while in the truck~I know much of it is the skill of the photographer too!

Marge said...

Gail, you'll only be one state away from us! Enjoy your trip. We're almost there.....about 5 hours away now (Wednesday night).

Linda, I have a Panasonic Lumix with 10 Mega pixels and 18 X optical zoom. I love it! The model number is DMC-FZ28. Every picture I've posted from this trip is taken through the dirty windshield of a moving truck, so they would be much better if I was standing still!