Sunday, December 19, 2010

PARTY TIME!

Isn't this a beautiful table?  Yesterday my sister Betsy hosted a birthday party for me and our youngest sister.  My birthday was a couple of weeks ago, and Lois' is today.  So sister Ruth came from the east and Lois and I drove down from the north, and we had a lovely party.  The menu was this luscious salad and crusty French bread, and a creamy chicken and crouton casserole.  Nummy!  Ruth brought cheesecake and some wonderful mint brownies.  And we had wine and coffee.  Doesn't get any better than that!

The gifts were special, too.  Lois gave me a small cross that says Let everything that has breath praise the Lord and I had made a purse for her.  Betsy gave us notebooks with family heritage recipes in it....the title of the cookbook is Gaar vi til Bords which in Norwegian is we come to the table.  Included are some recipes from our grandmother, and some from a great aunt, and some from a dear lady we called aunt.  Included in these recipes are a couple for lefse.

Which was the gift we received from sister Ruth!  Lefse!  She had gone through a little town down in the hills of southeastern Minnesota, known for it's lefse factory, and had stopped to buy us each our holiday supply of lefse. 

However, no gifts were needed.  Spending these hours with my sisters was gift enough for me.  We had a very enjoyable time in a lovely decorated home, and we feasted on good food and drink.  Thank you, each of you!  I love you all.

3 comments:

Lena . . . said...

How wonderful - and the table is indeed gorgeous. Once again happy birthday, and to your sister too.

Melissa said...

Lefse is the ultimate holiday food!! Man oh man....

Anonymous said...

Rick's heritage is Swedish and German, so his Mom always makes lefse. It's the spaple of every Christmas gathering. Did you have potato or flour lefse? Now I wouldn't know the difference!
LuAnn