Wednesday, October 05, 2011

HOME AGAIN, HOME AGAIN, JIGGITY JIG

We arrived home, safe and sound, late Sunday afternoon about 4:30.  It was another beautiful day to travel, and I didn't mind the drive at all, other than the traffic on I 35.  I am not a fan of heavy traffic all going at least 10 miles an hour over the posted speed of 70.  I tend to hang between 65 and 70, but am passed constantly.  Hubby spent the time listening to the Vikings get trounced for the 4th time in this new season which is only 4 games long.

Friday we arrived in Mountain View, Arkansas in time to head up to the Folk Center for a couple of hours.  We have been there before, and enjoyed our visits both times.  I love walking through the woodcarvers building, the pottery shop, the jewelry makers shop, candle shop, quilt shop, herb garden, and all the shops showing the lifestyle of the simpler life.  Well, I don't know about that.  Simple?  Having to grow or raise the food instead of shopping for it, having to cook everything on wood fired cookstoves after gathering the fuel, raising the sheep, processing the wool, creating the garments, or sewing all the clothing....simple isn't the word.  The Ozark Folk Center shows all the crafts of the area and is intent on preserving those talents and treasures.  And Mountain View is the folk music capitol of the world.

In the evening we attended the Folk Center's music show.  What a treat! 
This family beautiful preformed, and the babe in dad's arms did not say boo the whole time.  The children were happy, bright, talented and really looked to be enjoying putting on their show for the crowd.
This group was phenomenal.  I believe I was told that the boys are 13, 14, and 16, and the older gentleman is their grandpa!  They were very talented, and obviously enjoyed their music. 

The next morning we headed north again, back to Minnesota.  We arrived home Sunday night after another pleasant day driving.  The trees are changing colors and the sun was shining brightly.  Autumn is my very favorite time of the year.  This year it has been much warmer than normal which makes me wonder what is in store for us this winter.  Much colder?  More snow than average?  Everyone is speculating.....but my guess is that God will surprise us!

I just dawned on me that I didn't share with you the wonderful quilt shop I visited in Branson!  It is advertised as 7,000 square feet, easily the largest quilt shop I have ever been in.  And also easily the best stocked quilt shop I've ever seen!  They had everything.  Every patten, every book, every fabric, every tool........it was overwhelming.  However, I kept my wits about me and spent my money. All of it.  And some of hubby's too!  I came away with 6 charm packs, 2 from Joanna's Butterscotch and Rose collection, 2 from 3 Sister's Etchings collection, and 2 from Bonnie and Camille's Ruby collection.  And 2 layer cakes, one of Joanna's and one of Camille's, and a jelly roll, also from Camille's collection.  So you see a pattern here?  I love Camille's Ruby collection and can't wait to get started on a quilt.  However,  I have several UFO's to finish up first, so I'm afraid the new treasures will have to wait a bit.  So in my opinion, go to Branson for the quilt shop, and if you have some extra time and money, attend a show or two!

No comments: