Wednesday, February 16, 2011

WEDNESDAY NUMBER 3

Today we drove about 45 miles north into the desert to visit Biosphere 2.  No, there was no Biosphere 1.  The earth is the original biosphere!  Do you remember this domed community?  Eight people lived inside and raised their own food and ran the whole place for two years.  No going out and coming back in.  Two years inside.  It was quite an undertaking.  The University of Arizona now runs it, and there is extensive research going on under those glass panels.
 The building is huge, built by a man from Texas.
 There are many different areas inside: jungle
ocean shore
desert
and a couple others that I neglected to get a shot of.
And on a pole, just outside the community, we saw two hawks sharing the top.  I've not seen that before and thought it was beautiful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realize there was no Biosphere 1! Great photos of a place I've always wanted to go! By the way, I also love the new photo in your header, it's breathtaking!

- April in RI

Debbie said...

There is no way I could stay in there 2 years. Period. I read about it awhile ago and find it interesting.

I don't believe I've ever seen two hawks together. Always alone. Maybe this couple found true love :)