Saturday, November 20, 2010

ANTIQUE QUILT TOP!

Well, maybe not antique, but it's old! My grandmother, Nonny, made it.   My grandmother was a seamstress, and she sewed many of my dresses and other clothing when I was a kid.  And the clothes of my 3 sisters.  Some for my brother. Outfits for my cousins.   She made dresses for my mom.  And she made all of her own clothing.  I doubt if she ever owned a store bought dress....oh, and I never saw her in anything but a dress!  Back in the olden days women wore housedresses, you know! But, back to the quilt top.

All of this sewing gave my grandmother many scraps.  And she saved them all!  Left over fabric was cut into 6 inch squares, and sewed into quilt tops.  Most of the time she finished the quilt with backing, batt, and then tied them with colorful yarn.  For some reason when she gave me my quilt, it was just the top, unfinished.  And guess what?  It has been resting in my cedar chest ever since, still unfinished.  I was doing some digging in the dark recesses of a closet yesterday and I found it.  I thought I should check out the condition of the fabrics before I even considered completing it, so I spread it out on the floor and looked it over carefully.  The ancient fabrics, think 1950's and 60's, are in really good shape, and I think I could have it quilted.
I love the colors!  I'm thinking a bright clear red would make a nice binding.  So, I decided to leave the quilt top out where I could see it, and hopefully come spring I will get around to finishing it.  Not too bad, it's only about 45 or 50 years old!

4 comments:

Lena . . . said...

I just love old things like that. My mother made all of our clothes also, including her own. She put together a quilt from the scraps and gave it to me years ago. My daughter just loved it so I gave it to her recently. She gets such a chuckle out of the fact that I can point to all the different fabrics and tell her what the article of clothing was and who it belonged to. History - isn't it wonderful.

Bella said...

Why wait until spring? This looks like a winter project.

DynamicDuo said...

I think if you only said the word - you could have a crazy bunch of moms helping you quilt this, with much storytelling and laughter to stitch it together! At my husband's grandma's auction many of her handmade rugs, quilts, embroidery were for sale, I initally held back thinking her children would want them, but they didn't - so I got them! Someday I hope to have my daughters dresses they wore out of the orphanage quilted as backdrops to picture frames, someday....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.