Thursday, April 29, 2010

MY BLOOMIN' NEIGHBORHOOD

I can't recall when I have seen the blooms so thick on the flowering crab trees.  Yesterday when hubby and I ran into Menard's and passed by these trees on the way, I just had to yell "stop!"  I needed a picture!
You cannot see through the trees, the flowers are so abundant.  What a beautiful sight!
Now last night and this morning we have high winds.  Wonder if the trees are as beautiful this morning, or if the ground beneath them is pink with petal snow?

What are these light pink fluffy marshmallow looking flowers called?  They almost look light a very full carnation and they grow very close to the branch.  Reminds me of A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation ......shows how old I am, uh?
The sun was bright and warm, the sky was blue, and the flowers were breathtaking.  Life is good in the neighborhood.

4 comments:

Lena . . . said...

Our flowering crabs aren't quite open yet - about one more week is what we need. We're just that much behind you. Our plum trees haven't been this gorgeous in many years so if we can get through their bloom without a frost we'll have quite a crop. The name of the tree/bush that you're wondering about is called either a Rose Tree of China or a flowering almond. They both have the same type of blossom, but one is in a small tree form and the other is more shrubby. I have a rose tree of China that is about to burst it's blossoms and judging by the number of buds it's going to be quite a show. I'll take a picture when it's at its best and "show and tell." It's raining here today and after all the water we had with flooding this spring I never thought I would say "we could use a little moisture" - but we can. It's a nice gentle rain and makes everything even more beautiful.

Lena . . . said...

BTW, I ALSO remember A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation. Now it's in my brain and I'm going to hum that the rest of the day!! Thanks!!

Jeanne said...

Beautiful!
I love your header picture too. Looks like a road I would love to travel on someday.
Hope you're having a great weekend.
jeanne

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness...can not believe how thick the blooms are. I wonder if that is a sign of something to come? Never heard of it, but just wondering. The flowering carnation tree is what I want so find out the name for me would you?
and yes I remember the song...mine was by Marty Robbins I think, is that possible?