Monday, April 14, 2008

OH, WHAT A NIGHT!

No, it was not December 1963, as the song says. It was last night. Kari and Mike treated us to a gala event in the big city. We attended a fundraiser for the organization she works for and experienced life as the other half sees it! Black was the color of the night; black suits, black dresses, black skirts, black sweaters, well, you get the idea. Everyone who was anyone wore black. I must be half someone, as I wore black slacks; Ernie had not a speck of black on, being most comfortable in his khaki Dockers and jacket. He must not be someone. But I digress.

The event was held in the banquet hall of a downtown restaurant. Tables lined the perimeter and held the donations of the wonderful folks who support this non-profit organization. There were weekends in a castle, romantic dinners, airplane flights to view fall leaves, baskets of pampering spa items, a vacation in Mexico, dinner with the former governor and his wife, and a Vikings jersey sporting the signature of Adrian Peterson, all set up on the auction tables. It was great fun to watch the bidding progress from a hundred to thousands of dollars. Great people, people who put their money where their mouth is. I'm guessing they raised a good amount of money.

There were also two tables of wonderful appetizers, or hors d'oeuvres as you call them when you're in the company of former governors and upper crust folks. They provided small plates, about four inches across, and someone I live with filled his plate at least three times! You would have thought it was an all you can eat buffet by the way Ernie loaded his plates! There were some interesting and unusual items on the table, and I'm sure he didn't miss a one of them. Oh, sure, I also sampled my share. Nummy!

And then came the big show. We walked next door to the theatre and attended the Jersey Boys and were transported back to the days of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons, and American Bandstand was on every afternoon at four. Oh what fun we had! We drove the 80 miles home with real rock tunes playing in our heads. They sang: Silhouettes, I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Earth Angel, I Still Care, Sherry, December 1963 (Oh What a Night), My Eyes Adored You, Dawn, Can't Take My eyes Off of You, Rag Doll, my favorite Walk Like a Man, and countless more. The story behind the making of the stars was interesting, funny, and sad, and I loved every minute of it. This is my kind of music.

Thanks to Kari and Mike for this very special treat. We enjoyed it immensely!

3 comments:

Linda B said...

I'm glad you were able to go and enjoy the fundraiser! I'm afraid I would be in the company of Ernie and the nobody's...I think the only black I have now are socks!

Marge said...

That's 'cause you're so skinny! Us REAL women as the ads say, wear black to hopefully shave off a few pounds! The fund raiser was a lot of fun, and it was so great to be able to attend with Kari and Mike. Hope to see you soon!

Russell said...

There is no question you and your husband fall into the category of SOMEBODY! if you were there!! And my guess is that your husband was as handsome as any other fellow there!! Probably moreso..!

I have never gone to such things but have gone to a few gatherings that were a bit slanted for the upper level folks.

Once I was sitting at a table next to a woman and her husband who were quite intent on explaining to us how wealthy they were (always a sign of people who are not, since people who ARE don't act or talk like it!!!). She was talking about her big house and their two servants, etc.

She asked where we lived. I told her we lived in the country, in a farm house and next to the city's waste disposal plant - a lagoon!! I told her it is not too bad unless the wind is from the south!

THEN I told her we don't smell the huge hog confinement facility to the north of us too much unless they are spreading manure on the fields close to us!!

For some reason she never talked to me for the rest of the night ... not sure why??!!

Yes, I was making it up but I could not resist!!!

Take care and I always enjoy hearing from you.