Friday, August 08, 2008

AUGUST 9, 1942

This is a picture of my mom taken 66 years ago on her wedding day. Have you ever seen a more beautiful dress or lovely bouquet of flowers?
Have you ever seen dresses in rainbow colors?
My parents ~ the young vicar who fell in love with and married the beautiful angel in the white dress. They celebrated their 40th anniversary just weeks before my dad died in 1982. Tomorrow is the 66th anniversary of their marriage, just weeks after my mom's death.
The thing I treasure most about my childhood is that we were raised with the Bible as the self-help book. We were all brought to the Lord in baptism as tiny babies, and were in church every Sunday after that, no questions asked. My dad baptised me, confirmed me and married me. My parents taught me my Bible stories, catechism, and hymns. And they taught me about giving. My dad wrote a booklet on giving, and how tithing is a good example to follow. In this booklet he said: You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
That simple statement is the perfect summary of their whole marriage.....you cannot love without giving.
Thank you dear heavenly Father for such loving parents, who in all things were faithful to each other and to you. Help me to follow their example. In Christ's holy name, Amen.

7 comments:

Robbin said...

Oh Marge, she is just beautiful, beautiful enough to have been a movie star! But I'm glad she wasn't, I'm glad she was just happily married to a good man and produced You, in wherein it shows up everyday what wonderful loving parents they were.
Their wedding was beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

Oh man, that is a wonderful saying, You can't love without giving. I will remember that. I love the wedding picture and now that the date will be tough for you, but the memory is a beautiful, peaceful memory. They are with the Lord that they taught you to love.

ps, you now what is funny? I had a wedding with the exact same colors your mother did, minus one girl. I could not believe it when I looked at your pictures. Hey, I must have pretty good taste huh, to follow in your momma's footsteps!

Lisa said...

I just came back to your posting today, and I am very amazed at how beautiful your momma's wedding was. Look at all the attendants, and the fancy dresses, the bouquet so long and beautiful. That was a very classy wedding don't you think? I just love it. Do you have any of her other wedding photos? I would really like to see more!

Marge said...

Thank you for your sweet words, Robbin. Yes, she was a beautiful bride....especially during the war when her mom made her dress very unique by putting together several different patterns!

Hope you are feeling better today, dear friend!

Marge said...

Thanks for coming back a second time, Lisa! As I just said to Robbin, I too am amazed at how beautiful the dress, and the whole wedding party is, especially during the war. And can you imagine the cost of a bouquet like that today? I shudder at the thought, having just seen my granddaughter's lovely, but modest bouquet, and the cost of that!

Joni said...

I have not seen a wedding ensemble that was more beautiful than your mother's in the time it took place...what beautiful dresses and that bouquet! You don't really see them like this anymore...probably because it would be too expensive. Thank you for sharing pictures you were undoubtedly reminiscing through...I hope you feel peace knowing the love your parents shared...maybe their anniversary date should be an all day event of celebrating love...I think they'd like that.

Memaw's memories said...

What a beautiful couple your parents were. Her dress is gorgeous.

'You can't love without giving' is such a wonderful thought, and means so much more than just giving of your means. It is so deep. Such a beautiful post.