Friday, August 04, 2006

LEAVING IS HARD





WHITEHORSE, YUKON, CANADA, AUGUST 4, 2006:
Leaving is always hard for me and I cry at anything and everything. I bawled when I said good-bye to my mom to go on this trip. I really sobbed when we left Seldovia last week Tuesday after saying good-bye to our son. And I shed tears again on Sunday evening when we said good-bye to hubby's brother and wife in Anchorage.

We arrived in the big city on Wednesday afternoon, and after doing 3 loads of laundry we had dinner with all the Alaska relatives at the home of brother and sister-in-law. On Thursday after doing 9 loads of laundry (can you tell Seldovia had no laundry facilities?) we had dinner at our RV with the same brother and sister-in-law. We were planning to say good-bye that night and leave first thing in the morning, but we were offered a deal we couldn't refuse and we quickly changed our minds. Hubby's brother has a cabin on Alexander Creek, about 30 minutes float plane ride across the inlet from Anchorage, and he offered to treat us to a weekend with them at the cabin.

We had a wonderful time visiting and relaxing. The grandsons were in their glory playing horseshoes and badminton, running around and fishing, and best of all, riding the 4 wheeler. They even eagerly helped stack firewood if they could haul it on the back of the 4 wheeler. One of the highlights for me was a bath in the banya (not sure how it's spelled) which is the Russian name for a sauna. I asked hubby to build me one, but he said we couldn't tow it behind the RV! I don't see a problem, do you? It's just a very small log building with a dressing room and the bath room, a small wood stove and a few galvanized pails of water.

After the wonderful restful weekend it was tough to say good-bye to brother and sister-in-law. Thank you so much G & G! It was great! You are so generous and we love you dearly.

No comments: